Each year the Water Utility Authority returns more than $1 million to customers in the form of rebates designed to help customers bear the cost of implementing water-saving measures. Find out more about how you can receive a xeriscape rebate at www.abcwua.org and let Heads Up help you design and install your next water-wise project!
- Your landscape irrigation water must be provided by the Water Authority.
- Any landscape removed must be designated as high water use on the Albuquerque Plant List. A Water Authority Inspector must approve you application before you proceed. Pre-existing low water use landscapes are not eligible.
- Select landscaping plants from the Water Utility’s “How To Guide to Xeriscaping”.
- Fifty percent of the project rebate area must be covered by plants, as they will appear at maturity–not at installation. You select the qualifying plants from the list provided by the Water Authority and claim the mature plant area noted on the approved plant list. Existing plants may be incorporated into the design and contribute to coverage, provided they are on the approved plant list. The Water Authority recognizes the importance of trees by assigning a fixed groundcover value to approved trees.
- Spray irrigation is not permitted in the rebate area. You may hand water or use drip, soaker or bubbler irrigation systems. If you hand water, plants must be one gallon or larger container stock. Areas watered with sprinklers, including micro-sprinklers, will not disqualify your project, but will be excluded from the rebate calculation. Existing sprinklers may be converted to a drip system. All irrigation systems must have an approved backflow prevention device.
- You must cover the soil between and beneath the plants with a minimum 2 inches of mulch (3 to 4 inches is recommended). Common mulches are gravel or decorative bark, but other materials may qualify. Impervious plastic is not permitted, unless it is part of a water harvesting design.
- You will receive a water bill credit of $1.00 for every square foot of qualifying landscape. You must convert a minimum of 500 square feet to participate.